Thursday 4 March 2010

Meat is Murder

The primievel sensation you get from hunting is not unlike sex. I dont get a sexual buzz out of it but it has that instinctual feel and sex is the only accurate comparrison. Yesterday, I gave Tex some morsels of our days kill and he lay purring, our bond in hunting, in murder strengthened. As I ate the pigeon I thought of the bird alive, it's very soul, it's literal being passing in to mine. The sensation is a mixed one, to have looked a creature in the eyes as you killed it is strong. Even all your knowledge of the horrors of factory farming can't take away the saddness you feel. The seperation of what we are doing in eating meat and the product most eat, burgers etc. looks and feels so far removed from the life of an animal. To have the right to eat meat you must be able to kill. The choice is go vegan or learn to hunt. I have chosen to murder. I respect vegans. We may seem polar opposites yet I feel we are kindred spirits. It is those who never consider how thier food has come about who are morally redundant. When teaching product design and through my work, I learned that most never consider how objects come about or even the origin of thier urban environment. With food the same is true. With meat it is even more important. Animals have emotions, feelings and I think they have thoughts. To hunt you have to be pretty cunning, most can't do it. The animals you get are often the weakest, most stupid. The better hunter you are, the better the meat you get. Most animals in the wild die horribly, they may break a leg, crawl around wounded until a fox or rats eat them alive. An air gun pellet, accurately through the heart or lungs is the end a clean life of pure freedom, no fear, no worry. Compare that to the life of a chicken from Kentucky Fried Chicken.

1 comment:

  1. The problem with your approach is that most of us would have to become vegans. Those living in towns would not have the opportunity of stalking their pray. I suppose if they did the pigeons would dissappear first, then it would be a toss up between the rats or the local cats next. The townies would soon run out of quarry.

    Having said that I agree that peoples attitude to meat is over sanitised. A nine year old I know was cut short in class, for fear of upsetting the children, when telling the class what he did on his holidays, helping his grandfather beat at a local shoot.

    If you're going to eat meat you should understand animal slaughter.

    ReplyDelete