Saturday 6 March 2010

Egret

Cattle Egret is back over the land behind the workshop. I'm not telling you where that is though. Havn't seen t yet myself. Been readng of the horrfic bird hunting that goes on in Malta, a vital stepping stone n the migratory path of many of our most exciting birds. An oft heard phrase last year was when did you last see a cuckoo. One of the planets geatest events is the huge migration, largely unseen as much travel is at night but 16 million birds flood over from Africa to Britain. This is what Spring meens. The trappers build raised platforms for decoy songbirds in cages and net the b irds. They are popular as pets caged in cars, buses, offices. Malta has 12000 licenced shotgun owners and 3000 licensed trappers, that's 80 hunters per square kilometre. In a few weeks when the raptors come over, marksmen test thier prowess by shooting golden eagles, marsh harriers, ospreys, honey buzzards, flamingos even storks. Nothing is oiut of bounds. The native populations of barn owls and peregrines were wiped out in the 1980s so the hunters have moved on to EU protected birds. Many birds are hanging in the balance, our bittern, the lesser spotted eagle and the pallid harrier is down to 50 breeding pairs. If allowed to continue, we will lose many birds for good. The 20000 odd hunters are enough to swing a parliament in Malta so only the intervention of Brussels and serious sanctions can sort this.

2 comments:

  1. Saw an Egret today on the river Meon in east Hampshire. Only ever seen them in Devon and Cornwall before. They are extending their range quite fast. Must say they stick out like a sore thumb, they are so so white!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not wrong. Prior to last year I had only seen them in Spain and Morrocco and we were treated to odd sightings near our workshop. I had read that a pair had successfully bred in Somerset and wondered if we were close. Having now seen my first this year I hope so. I have also been incredibly excited as I saw a Peregrine over our land three days in a row, one of my favourite birds. When I was a teensger they were very rare though, I gather many towns now enjoy them. Until 4 years ago I had seen 3 then by chance I started seeing a girl in Bath, this was boring but being able to get up early and watch the peregrines made an otherwise unpleasant relationship worthwhile. To her they were dots in the sky.
    Now each day is a pleasure looking for the Egret, The Falcon or the otters on the river. We also see mauch other birdlife from long tailed tits, kingfishers, sparrowhawks and other more common birds. Some days I feel guilty wasting the day making things with the wonder outdoors.
    Glad to hear they are spreading and am sure you must have got the same buzz I got from seeing one near our base.
    I think the saving grace is that few even notice. I recall totally losing track of a conversation someone was having with me when a red kite soared overhead. They thought me rude but I just lost all interest in what they were saying as the beautiful fork tailed bird caught the thermals. Introduction schemes have made them common near wycombe and Harewood but they are rare here.
    I live for these moments more than I do for art or furniture.

    ReplyDelete