Sunday 24 August 2014

Leeds RL Challenge Cup Winners 2014

I arose this morning 6am, a Sunday lie in to account for the ale drunk in celebration of leeds rhinos finally reclaiming the cup. Five losing appearances in a row hurts even when offset by six championships. Onwards to the double. A little LSZ brightened up the second half and evening celebrations. The usual eight mile morning constitutional saw green woodpeckers, buzzards, dippers, grey and yellow wagtails, kingfishers, crayfish and roe deer.
I feel far from the days, but a few weeks back when I tried to take my own life. How daft it all seems now.2 grammes of methoxphenidine didn't kill me but a couldn't walk for four days, a week followed where I was so,ewhat like a paranoid cave man, grunting at strangers. Fortunate not to be sectioned. By the third week I had begun to tell the difference between hallucination and reality.
Rebuilding my life I have made new windows for my home to pay the rent and made an arrangement with my main client to pay him back the money I had come to owe him over the year.
The last time I saw leeds lift the cup was 1999, iesten Harris led the way against a London containing a fading Martin offiah and a fading shaun Edwards. Somehow I know the wait won't be so long again.
When leeds won the championship in 2004 for the first time in 32 years inever thought a team I'd followed through thick and thin would come to dominate the game. Even the great Wigan of the eighties were the only full time team bar leeds towards the end of their reign so in the modern era of salary caps, leeds achievements must be regarded as the greatest ever in the history of the sport. I feel honoured to be a rugby league fan, if Cas had have won yesterday I would still have been happy, but honoured to be alive to see the greatest team of all. These days are legends.

No comments:

Post a Comment