Tuesday 9 August 2011

Matt Collishaw and Ron Arad

I met Matt at a new years party though didnt endear myself to him. I hadn't seen the host for many years so was introduced dressed to no code and was merely joyous to see him. I was aware of his work and prescence though it seems he is truly coming of age. Some artists peak young, I believe Matt is arriving properly now.
His 'Sordid Earth' is a wonderworld. In the space created by the designer Ron Arad in the Roundhouse in Camden, a beautiful jungle of decaying lillies rot in a storm.
Arad said 'lets do something round ad big'. The reslt is a curtain made from 5600 eight metre silicone rods hung from a circular rail 18 metres in diameter suspended from the roof of the building. Arad then asked 360 of his artist and designer freinds, students fro the RCA where he was perofessor of product design to create 360 works to be screened through the eight state of the art projectors on to the rods.
Matt Collishaws runs till 29th august but it will take 5 years to see them all.
I was never sure of Collishaw, so many were carried through on Damiens broad shoulders but, seeing this, his tree piece last year and the planned Death Row last meals I think he is proving himself. The YBA tag can be as much a help as a burden.

No comments:

Post a Comment