Monday 22 August 2011

New Job 2

I returned to Somerset with just one commission for a table. I had to sell some machines. Then my patron sent an e mail asking for about 3 years work, furniture for another house in South Somerset. This was a brilliant boost. For the next few years I made four post beds, chests of drawers, dressing tables, bedside units, side tables, kitchen tables, bookcases, desk and chairs for the office; basically the whole house. The builder didnt get involved with the designing as I don't work to others designs. The house looked great when complete.
Next I got asked to make 5 or 6 four poster beds in mahogany. I hadn't used the stff for years. I don't like to use tropical timber and find it dark and moody. I came up with design after design as an interior designer started to show me pictures of grotesque old beasts that would cost 6 figure prices. I didn't feel happy at all. Having no other work I came up with some designs. The interior designer was never able to say clearly what they wanted and now there were three people plus the very patient gentleman paying who all had an opinion. Of course, any design by commitee can either be a great collaboration of ideas or a mess. These weren't great. I made a couple of chairs that were nice before bmoving on to another house my patron had bought in Exmoor. The builder should have had the job done in a year, 2 at most. The job is still on going.
Whether it was the calamity of the beds or the arrogance of the builder I know not but it was decided he would have some design input. As you can see, from the original house where I was designing some beautiful things the situation had degenerated to getting sent child like sketches of furniture that I had to try to make work. Often you find people who think they can design furniture, seldom they can. If I were asked to design a motorbike I could draw pipes and wires and edxhausts, chains and wheels but it wouldn't go. Or at least you would have to get a designer in to make it work.
So, following this 3 year descent from making good things to trying to make sense of the childish sketches, my self respect had eroded. I began by redesigning the bedroom furniture and made some of this. I hope and pray that historians do not associate me with these horrendous beasts. I got sent money. I asked if I could deliver, one time hiring and loading a van. The builder wasn't ready. He kept telling me the client didn't need any more furniture quite missing the point that he didn't 'need' another house. I rented storrage units.
The furniture still sits there. I have some horrid little sketches for beds but no money left to make them.
My business became too reliant on one client and an awkward builder who seems to play at building in his spare time. The patron or client has been fine but the builder has put me under. Sadly, the builders arrogance in thinking he could design furniture and working at a quarter of the speed of normal has put me out of business to all intents and purposes. I studied design for 5 years and have worked designing most of my adult life.
I have other snippets of work, smaller jobs that may help. A client pulled out of buying an exhibition piece as I couldn't restore it in time.
So there lies my business. The whole experience has left me in debt and feel it is time for a change. Whether I go write a book, do a PHD, make more art? I don't know. What I do know is I'll be starting from scratch again. This is quite exciting though very scary. I have a lot of advice for young furniture makers starting out.

No comments:

Post a Comment