Sunday 15 August 2010

Furniture Rage

I am a furniture maker by trade though in no way would I define myself through this lens. I feel angered tonight. I have a website michaelwainwright.co.uk that shows my work. It is an old website. I have never before checked out other furniture makers websites but did for the first time tonight. Makers are setting up, looking at others sites then creating thier own based on the best they see. A tragedy is in the offing. To look sideways and do your best to fit in with them as a good site within thier parameters is missing the whole point. My site may be crap, it may look dated but it is unique. No one does work like mine. The new trend is to fit in to this authodoxy. I have tried to explain the folly of this follow the leader attitude but I see an awful resume of indisinguishable makers. Why am I angry? I am becoming an elder. They are all the fucking same. There is nothing there. For fucks sake, what have we become? You may make a buisness but you sure as shit havn't contributed one iota to material culture.Wanting to be part of something has destroyed all the instigators worked for. The way I feel tonight is like packing the whole game in. Don't any of you have something new to offer? Sorry, but you are fucking destroying what many spent thier best years creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment