Saturday 28 August 2010

Libertines reunion gig

I was looking forward to seeing the Libertines reclaim thier crown. The Libertines were ok. The Sex Pistols are the closest to the Libertines, never played well under scrutiny, all thier best gigs were to small crowds, both spawed a generation of bands that cashed in on thier legends, both were done before the public cottoned on. I first saw the Libertines supporting the Pistols at Crystal Palace, I missed the Pistols in thier glory days, was 12 when they split.
Seeing the Libertines tonight felt strange, Carl looked like he'd been doing coke for 3 days, Peter looked like he's given up gear, got a methadone prescription and perhaps a levelling SSRI drug to tame his moods. He had put on a little weight and knew the moves well enough to go through the motions. But the danger has gone. Like when I saw the Pistols they were far more musically proficient than they were back in the day. The windows of cultural opportunity that both enjoyed were open but briefly and seeing them outside of there makes little sense. They are rendered mere bands, though good ones. The magic has gone. Few bands have had that magic, that glamour, that wonder. Elvis was touched with the wand for a while. Perhaps, as dullards tell me, that starlight that shines a halo on a select few is but a myth. I know they just missed ever seeing a band like the Sex Pistols, the Libertines or Elvis during the opening of the magic window and must try to imagine from shadows, journalism and descriptions. Yet trying to explain is like describing any religious experience, be it from drugs, climbing Everest or smaller fry. Everest felt cold and windy. Perhaps it isn't space trips that cause madness or retreat in to religion, just the frustration of trying to explain that which is beyond words. I hope Peter is alright. He looked like he had sold his soul. Barat was an evil man to kick a musician out of his own band, to see money as more important than magic. Yet I live in a world of Barats and know a handful of believers in magic. When I stop believing, please let me kill myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment